Saturday, February 21, 2009

Photographs, the Bane of My Existance

Today I made something pretty cool. It could use a little tweaking here or there, and the third generation of this item will probable be much, much better. But I really like it and I can't take a good picture of it to save my life. Maybe it just can't be photographed. But if it can't be photographed, it can't be sold. (Which might not be so bad, at least then I can keep it!)

Today has been a gloomy day. It started out nice, the sun was sort of out, but then around 11 it just clouded right over and has just gotten darker and darker. I think that might be part of the photography problem. I've just been using natural light to take pictures of things. The only draw back to that is cloudy,rainy day=no photos.

This is the only good one I managed of the new item, and it's not even that good:


It's a little pinky ring with oxidation, hand etched raindrop pattern, 14kt gold, and one flush set white sapphire. I think the sapphire was overkill, actually, but I couldn't resist. I think it would be all right, but I didn't place it well. So, this will probably end up being my own ring. I love being a goldsmith...I get to keep the rejects! (Or maybe I will give it to Jonna as a gift. Mmwha wha ha ha!)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Justine,
The single best thing I ever did for my photography was to invest in 2 tripod lamps (they look like really tall Luxo lamps). They come with 200 or 250 watt bulbs. Photography your jewelry in a light tent so the bulbs don't cast harsh shadows and you'll be on your way. You'll also be able to photograph on gloomy days. Cheers, Barbara