Monday, December 28, 2009

Slack-tastic

I'm sure you've heard of wicked stepmothers....but have you even heard of wicked stepdaughters? Because that is exactly what I am.


No, this is not one of mine. This is my stepmom's wedding ring. I've had this thing held hostage here in my studio for at least half a year. Leaving my poor mother wedding ring-less (or as she likes to call it "without her shackle"). Terrible. I've been wanting to size it up and put a new half shank on it. But when I got it sawed in two and prepared to solder on the new shank, it wouldn't solder, no matter what I tried. I think I am being too conservative with the heat because I am afraid of ruining something that has a lot of sentimental value. The ruby, in particular, worries me because it has inclusions. Which I think add to its loveliness, but they do make it more likely to crack when heat is applied. I think the stone will need to be removed. But I'm going to take it to someone who specializes in repairs, because I'm just too close to this thing. It's like a surgeon who can't operate on family (or something like that....).

Meanwhile, I couldn't leave my mom shackle-less, could I? And exposed to the advances of strange men at the grocery store? Not I! So I made her something pretty to wear while I get the ring repaired:



4 comments:

SariiCollins said...

Very pretty! It looks great on her :)

RudyLemen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah Marie said...

I don't think you're silly at all for not wanting to torch her ring - I don't think I could do it, either! Very nice of you to make her one to wear in the meantime. Love reading your blog!

Bean Collins said...

Hey Sara, I'm glad she likes it. :-)

Hey Sarah, I know! I'm too nervous to do it and now I need to find a good jeweler to take care of it for me. :-)