Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting there, getting there

Progress is slow here at the B studio.  Unfortunately, there is so much going on in our lives and in the house, that despite the unceasing efforts of the (world's best) Shop Monkey, I am still not completely settled into the new studio.  This last Saturday we moved (and when I say we, I mean he) the last of the stuff from the old studio and cleaned the place out.  It was a bit of a process.  I don't know how I accumulated SO MUCH CRAP.  Actually, I think I do know.   When I was first starting out with my business, I didn't really know what I would need.  So, I just tended to get anything that I might remotely have possibly ever used, even once.  That is how you end up with a whole lot of things that really don't serve any purpose (anymore).  But I don't see how I could have worked any other way.  I certainly couldn't have scaled up as quickly.  I'm a firm believer that you have to spend money to make money, and that you need to have the right tool for the job (even if you might not know what that job might be).  And if you are pressed for time, the shotgun approach is the best method (at least for me).  So, here I am, with a lot of stuff that I need to get rid of.  Which is also hard.  But not as hard as seeing a bright new studio space slowly getting overcrowded with junk (not junk really, just things I don't use).  DE-pressing.

To be perfectly honest, as much as I love what I do, I think I would prefer being an illustrator or something like that.  Something that doesn't require as many tools (it stresses me out to have to keep track of everything) or dust or dirt or grime.  Perhaps I love the end result of my work, just not the process.

 Yay!

 Ugh!

I don't always feel this way, I think I'm just a little down today.  The Shop Monkey is out of town for the week (super sad face) and I'm suffering a little bit from a light blueish funk.  My sleep hasn't been the best, and it is getting hard to eat without being uncomfortable (double squids!).  And work has been a bit overwhelming, which creates conflicting feelings for me since I am glad I have enough work, but at the same time feel a bit stressed.  But I would much rather be stressed that way, than be stressed about not making enough money.

Ah, Monday.

4 comments:

Nicole Hyatt said...

Excited for you new space- as a proud owner of your amazing work- I am so glad for the mess- Your work is one of a kind...everywhere I go I think how everyone else's ring seems so boring compared to mine! :)
Thanks!

dandelion farmstead said...

I agree- I gaze at my rings in gratitude to you often- and get compliments often, too! I wish you luck decluttering and finding a home for all that you do need :)

Justine said...

You guys are sweet, thank you! Tomorrow will be better. I think the last few things that need to be done (hanging shelves in the studio, painting my bedside table) are just nagging at my spirit, especially since it is getting harder and harder to do challenging things like bend over to pick up laundry and tie my shoes. :-) (And I still have 3 months...I can't imagine what the end will be like.)

Debbie said...

I wish we were there to help...I would tie your shoes :-) I also wear your creations with pride. Thank you. Please think bright lovely colors like Orange, Yellow, a lovely red oh and there is green. Yes green, less blue. Dance gently with the babes. Love Debbie