Friday, June 3, 2011

Shows over folks, move along


No, not really. But that is sort of how I felt when I finished my engagement ring the other day. I don't know why. I seriously wondered if I would now completely lose my urge to make jewelry after I had made my own ring. Luckily that wasn't the case. :-)

I can't explain how nervous I was making this ring, especially setting the stone. It was crazy. I'm not a nervous person, so the feeling was a novel one. I hope it doesn't stick around.




I went this route because I wanted to wear a single ring and because I have gigantic ogre hands and wanted something substantial. Plus, it just sort of appeared in my head like this, and it felt like something I would be happy with in the long term. I'm easily bored with jewelry, so I needed to make a piece that would withstand my fickleness. I have one pair of earrings that I've never gotten tired of, I made them a thousand years ago and they are still my favorite. White faceted agate drops with two disks of turquoise stacked above. Super simple, but I looooooove them. And I needed to looooooove this. And I do. It feels like a piece of German engineered machinery. It feels like sunken treasure.



I totally crack myself up. While I want to share my ring with people, I also feel incredibly uncomfortable at the same time. I feel like it is bragging, I feel like I'm showing off. It seems a little gauche (man, I love that word). I just can't get too serious about the whole thing. It all seems sort of silly (I also feel this way about wedding dresses. But I'm going to be wearing a ruffled, pretty pretty princess dress, so I am a total mental hypocrite!). But then again, this is what I do for a living so I guess I get a pass? Plus, wedding rings are pretty, and I find them all interesting to tell the truth. I always find myself looking at hands when I am out and about.

(Mental process going on in the photo: okay, how do I get my hand in the shot without looking awkward. Just sort drape it across your chest. Like this. No. Like this. Just Look Natural. Okay. Too obvious. Relax your fingers. This looks dumb. Go with it.)

All right! Have a wonderful weekend. I plan on posting pug photos next week. We had an epically good trip to the coast the other weekend and I have to share a few of the best shots. Pugs are awesome. And so are giant gold rings. :-D


5 comments:

dandelion farmstead said...

I feel EXACTLY the same way about wearing an "engagement" ring and about wedding dresses... which is the main reason I didn't want a ring for awhile... however I LOVE the ring you made me. I look at it all the time, it distracts me while I'm driving because the sun catches the yellow diamond oh so nicely! and I am also wearing much more of a wedding dress than I ever imagined... but i had all the tool removed and the train cut off... plus it has pockets so it's great! Congrats on finishing your ring- it is gorgeous!

Jonna said...

lol. It's gorgeous Bean. You'll be a gorgeous bride too.

Lindsay said...

It's gorgeous- congrats!!

alb said...

Justine, it's amazing! I hope you feel as much anticipation about wearing it and showing it off as I do about mine--I can't wait to receive my ring from you!

Justine said...

Thanks everyone! I'm still loving it, so we will just have to wait and see if I will be sick of it in a month or so. :-)