Friday, April 10, 2009

Another Corpse in the Graveyard of Jewelry Dreams


Sometimes you just have to try something a few times before it works. And now I know exactly what I did wrong, and what I need to do to make it work. Can you at least tell what I'm aiming for here? I plan to pair it with the eternity band. And the mistakes I made actually gave me ideas for other things, so it wasn't a total loss. What happened was that the tube I was setting the stone in wasn't fully fused to the bowl, and it came loose when I already had the stone set. Then, when I tried to re-fuse the setting it fused all wonky and the stone cracked. Even though it was a sapphire and should have been fine in the flame. Despairing, I hit it with a hammer, and that was the end of that. I kind of like the rough uneven look of the outside cup, probably going to remake it and exagerrate that effect.

Today I took the train into the city to hit Otto Frei and buy some odds and ends and then go to a gemstone dealer in the same building to buy stones. And we are now having people over for dinner and I need to get cooking, but I'm sooooo tired. I think I will drink my old coffee that is still sitting in the cup from this morning. I know, gross.

p.s. I also finally received my gemstone tray in the mail today, and sorted all of my stone inventory into it, which is a huge relief. No more rifling through endless little plastic bags and loose envelopes. Yay!

2 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

I drink old coffee all the time, so don't feel bad. I start the school day with a lovely, hot, fresh cup, then get busy, then end up drinking room temperature coffee. Glad you got the tray. And I am so jealous of 'going to the gem dealer.' Lucky you.

Danielle

Justine said...

I'm a coffee addict. I try and try to give it up. I'll make it a week or two and then I will end up having 3 coffees in one day. I used to drink an entire (large) french press. I never drank coffee really until I turned 24 and moved back to Oregon from Hawaii. I think it was the gray overcast sky that drove me to it.

Anyhoo, have you made any new wooden jewelry lately?!

Cheers!
Justine