Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New Tool Joy!


I'm like a five year old about packages. I think it's because I never got to celebrate Christmas or my birthday growing up, but I love me some packages. I even order stuff to be sent to myself just so I can get a package in the mail to open.

Last week I was feeling short on tools, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some.

This is what I came up with:


To make shapes like these:


I love, love, love it. It's called an Italian quadrillion mandrel. I also love the name.

I also got this:

This is a bracelet mandrel. It's perfectly round and lets me form metal into circles, much like a ring mandrel allows me to make rings that are round (or square!). I can't wait to start making some bangles. Bangles are actually my favorite type of jewelry. I collect them.

And finally, the pièce de résistance of my new tool purchase!:


This, readers, is a disk cutter! It cuts perfectly round disks out of metal. Unfortunately it came wrapped in greasy paper and covered in an oily slime that stank of diesel (to prevent rust). I was so excited that I got the grease all over my hands and shirt (lovely). But I finally got it cleaned off and in working shape and made these:



Sweet little post earrings with 18kt gold, argentium, and tiny white sapphires. I love that tool, and I have so many ideas about what I can do with it. Full, detailed plans to follow.

No comments: